Have you been looking for a tasty, vegetarian ketogenic dish? Your search is over – this easy keto vegetable ratatouille recipe makes the perfect side dish. Or main dish, depending on what you’d prefer.
Ratatouille is basically a fancy French way of saying “stir-fry.” Which is exactly why this low carb recipe is one of my favorites! Nothing beats an easy ketogenic stir-fry that you can whip up in no time.
Are All Vegetables Keto-friendly?
The main ingredients in this ratatouille recipe are eggplants, zucchinis, bell peppers, and tomatoes. These are great for your ketogenic diet, but you shouldn’t make the assumption that all veggies are keto-friendly.
Some vegetables are surprisingly high in carbohydrates, which is why we’ve put together this great list to help you decide which ones to add in your meal plan. Consuming high-carb veggies could kick you out of ketosis and mess up your diet, so it’s a good idea to pay close attention to the carbohydrate levels.
Cooking Keto Vegetable Ratatouille In The Oven
If you’re short on time or don’t feel like standing by the stove on a hot day, you can try a different cooking method and throw this keto vegetable ratatouille in the oven.
To do so, follow these instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Slice the vegetables into thin coins (for super quick preparation, try using a mandolin slicer) and layer them in a spiral pattern, in a baking dish.
- Combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and herbs. Drizzle the olive oil mixture all over the sliced vegetables.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Then remove the foil and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Entrée or Side Dish?
This low carb veggie ratatouille recipe is a great option when you’re hosting dinner. Besides being keto-friendly, it’s also a gluten-free and dairy-free recipe – which makes it great for people with different kinds of special diets.
You could serve this as a side dish with one of these Keto entrée recipes, or, if you have vegetarian guests, this can also be served as a tasty main dish.
Bonus tip: Feel free to try different kinds of fresh herbs for this ratatouille, to create new flavors!
This flavorful French classic is vegetarian and Keto.
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 8 Tablespoons of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of olive oil, to cook with
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add in the olive oil garlic and onions to a frying pan.
- Then add in the diced eggplant and cook until softened.
- Then add in the rest of the vegetables and cook until everything is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in the basil.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2g