Finally, a keto cheese that looks and functions like yellow cheese! Make this dairy-free keto cauliflower cheese the next time you need a fix!
Remind Me: Why Can’t I Eat ‘Normal’ Cheese?
Of course, there is no law against eating cheese. Full-fat dairy products have a lot of nutritious qualities.
The fat content in dairy also makes it a suitable choice for keto.
However, many people have hidden sensitivities to dairy. I recommend at the very least that everyone eliminate dairy for a month and reevaluate.
Most people feel so much better dairy-free that they don’t want to go back.
So it’s your decision, and eliminating dairy is much easier with handy recipes like this keto cauliflower cheese.
What Does This Cheese Taste Like?
When you’re making a substitute for the “real thing” there is usually some compromise. It is hard to get things exactly the same.
Maybe it’s the way it looks, the texture, or the taste. This is one of those recipes that does a great imitation.
If you’ve had a bad experience with other kinds of keto cheeses, please don’t let that deter you from trying this one.
Most keto cashew cheese, for example, offers a texture and taste that is more like a ricotta cheese.
This cheese is squishy-firm, more like American cheese. It actually manages to taste like cheese, too, thanks to some nutritional yeast.
You can cut it into cubes or slices depending on how you want to use it
How I Made Keto Cheese
Taking the dairy out of cheese is always a challenge. But some unexpected ingredients allowed me to pull it off.
To get that squishy-firm texture, I used a bit of gelatin. That helps the cheese to stand up and hold its form.
Its base, obviously, is cauliflower, a great canvas for recipes where you want other foods to steal the show in terms of flavor.
The brilliant yellow coloring comes from a bit of turmeric, which is a great healthy addition to many dishes.
A bit of unsweetened coconut milk adds some creaminess, and nutritional yeast delivers that great cheesy flavor.
A bit of salt and pepper and you’re done!
A sliceable dairy-free keto cheese.
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets (approx. 4-5 cups)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened coconut milk from a can
- 1/3 cup (32 g) gelatin
- 2/3 cup (85 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) ground turmeric
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Boil the cauliflower florets for 5-10 minutes until tender. Drain really well.
- Place the cauliflower, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and salt and pepper into a blender and blend well.
- Then slowly add in the gelatin, sprinkling it in so that it doesn’t clump. Blend in between sprinkling.
- Blend well and make sure the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bread pan to form a nice block of sliceable cheese.
- Refrigerate overnight, then remove and slice. You can also grate it or cut it into cubes to add to your salads.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7 g