I hear on a regular basis about folks struggling by way of keto on flavorless plain hen breasts over limp lettuce. Instead, why not give this keto Dijon smothered hen drumsticks recipe a attempt?
Why Drumsticks are Different
As a child, I all the time gravitated towards the drumsticks, if given a selection. Maybe it was the sheer pleasure of consuming with my arms, however I feel the style had one thing to do with it as nicely.
When different hen could possibly be rubbery, stringy, dry, or chewy, drumsticks someway all the time tasted good.
I don’t assume it was simply my creativeness. Drumstick meat tends to have extra fats, which makes it moist, juicy, and flavorful.
Despite the style, many dieters shied away from darkish meat for a very long time, satisfied the fats would make them…fats. Now we all know higher, and recognize that burst of power somewhat fats can present on keto.
Drumsticks are additionally a very good supply of iron, which girls specifically will be missing. You’ll additionally get a stable quantity of protein, in addition to vitamin B-6 and selenium.
The different superior factor about drumsticks is the worth. You’ll sometimes pay much less for drumsticks than hen breasts.
Even extra motive to vary up your hen dinner routine.
Bone Broth: Another Advantage of Drumsticks
As if the worth wasn’t sufficient to sway you, there’s one other profit of shopping for drumsticks. You can use the bones to make bone broth.
Yes, I do know it feels like one thing you would possibly set out for Halloween subsequent to witch hat appetizers and grape “eyeballs,” however bone broth is a nutritious base for keto soups.
You’d in all probability need greater than 4 drumstick bones, nonetheless, so it is likely to be a very good choice should you additionally purchased a complete hen and you should utilize the bones from each to make the broth.
If you’re extra curious in regards to the finish results of bone broth, try these keto soup recipes. Not all require bone broth, however they’re good to have round, particularly in the course of the winter months.
These straightforward drumsticks are positive to be a brand new favourite.
- 1/four cup of ghee (60 ml), to prepare dinner with
- four hen drumsticks (with pores and skin on) (500 g)
- 1/four cup of hen broth (60 ml)
- 1/four cup of coconut cream (60 ml) (from the highest of 1 can of refrigerated coconut milk)
- 2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard (30 ml)
- Generously season the hen drumsticks with salt and pepper.
- In a big nonstick skillet, soften the ghee over medium-high warmth.
- Place the drumsticks within the skillet and brown on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and put aside
- Reduce the warmth to medium-low and add the hen broth, coconut cream, and mustard to the skillet. Return the drumsticks to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, to style.
- Cover and prepare dinner for 20 to 25 minutes, turning the drumsticks after 10 minutes, till cooked by way of. Check with a meat thermometer that the interior temperature is 165 F (75 C).
All dietary information are estimated and primarily based on per serving quantities.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Calories: 537
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 46 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: zero g
- Protein: 28 g