Whether it’s the height of summer or the cold weather blues are getting you down, it’s always the perfect season for these Keto lemon drop gummies. With only four ingredients, you won’t believe how easy it is to make these refreshing little morsels. They take a little bit of prep to dissolve the gelatin, but if you double the recipe, you can have double the lemon drops with the same amount of work. Make a batch for a light treat on a hot day or to brighten up a cold and rainy one. Whatever the weather, these gummies are sure to please.
What Is a Lemon Drop?
A lemon drop is a type of lemon-flavored candy. They are made from a mixture of sugar, water, and cream of tartar, which boiled, stretched into long ropes, cut into bite-sized pieces, and then rolled in sugar. Lemon drops are often colored yellow and can be molded to look like tiny lemons. They are hard candies and the earliest version of the lemon drop was created in 1806 and called the Salem Gibraltar. A lemon drop is also a type of alcoholic drink, made with vodka, lemon, and sugar.
Our Keto-friendly lemon drops are neither hard candies nor are they an alcoholic drink, but they take the lemony flavor of both versions and put it in an appealing gummy. Not too sweet and not too sour, our lemon drop gummies are just right.
4 Tips for Making Gummies
- Bloom your gelatin – The number one mistake people make with gummies is forgetting to bloom the gelatin. If you bloom the powdered gelatin in half of the lemon juice (while still cool), and then add it to the warm mixture, you will have lump free gummies every time.
- Work quickly – Make sure you have your molds all set up and ready to go because gelatin begins to set as soon as it cools, so you don’t have time to waste. Especially, if you are making a big batch of gummies.
- Use a common kitchen tool for mess-free gummy making – Two words for you: turkey baster. This is a life saver when making gummies, particularly if the molds are small.
- Spice it up – Gummies are a great place to play around with flavor combinations that use herbs and spices. Anything that would be good in lemonade is worth trying here. Consider adding mint or a little bit of ginger to steep in the lemon mixture when you heat it. Just remember to pull out any flavorings before to put the mixture in the molds.
More Keto Treats Made with Gelatin
These refreshing gummies are hard to stop eating – so make a couple of batches!
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) gelatin powder
- 2 Tablespoons (24 g) erythritol or stevia, to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat up the lemon juice and water. Slowly stir in the gelatin powder and erythritol so that it all dissolves.
- Pour into silicone molds (or ice-cube trays).
- Freeze or refrigerate for 2+ hours.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Calories: 15
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g