Is there any meals extra welcome on a chilly winter day than beef stew? How a few stew you’ll be able to be ok with? Our Keto one-pot beef stew leaves behind the normal carbs in favor of extra flavorful elements like herbs and bacon. Not to say it solely makes use of one pot! No fancy kitchen devices wanted for this recipe! Just a pot, a knife, a spoon, and a wholesome urge for food. With 22 grams of protein per serving and solely Three grams web carbs, this low-carb stew resides proof that consolation meals doesn’t should be unhealthy for you. It may be satisfying and wholesome!
A Short History of Beef Stew
Stew has been round for millennia. According to the surviving proof, the oldest location the place we all know that stew was made is in Japan, previous to the eighth century B.C.E. At that cut-off date, stews have been usually cooking in animal skins or, within the case of Amazonian tribes on the opposite aspect of the world, in turtle shells.
There are stews made all around the globe from Goulash in Hungary to Jjigae in Korea however the phrase ‘stew’ is believed to return from the Old French phrase estuier, which suggests to surround. This is probably going a reference to the cooking methodology.
Meat stews are sometimes divided into “white” stews and “brown” stews. This refers as to whether or not the meat is browned earlier than the liquid is added. Our stew is “brown,” for the reason that bacon and beef are browned originally, earlier than the opposite elements are added.
How to Adapt This (Or Almost Any) Stew to the Crockpot
Stew is the proper crockpot dish as a result of it was designed to cook dinner low and sluggish. Read on for some easy ideas to make sure that your crockpot stew tastes superb each time.
1. Reduce liquid – The lid on a crockpot is designed with a decent seal in order that steam can not simply escape. This ensures that meat stays juicy, but it surely additionally implies that not as a lot liquid is required in your recipe. An excellent rule of thumb is to you 20% much less liquid within the crockpot than on the range or within the oven.
2. Don’t skip the browning – It may be tempting to only throw all the pieces into the crockpot and have achieved with it, which you’ll undoubtedly do in a pinch, however taking the time to brown the meat earlier than including it to the crockpot provides a welcome depth of taste.
3. Add contemporary herbs final – This one could appear to be a no brainer however when you’re utilizing any contemporary herbs, add them proper earlier than the tip of cooking even when you usually add them earlier when cooking on the range. This will maintain the flavour contemporary and shiny.
Where’s the Beef? More Low Carb Beef Recipes
A hearty low-carb stew for the lengthy winter
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil, to cook dinner with
- 2 cups (480 ml) of chilly water
- 1 lb (450 g) beef stew meat (cubes)
- four slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme, complete
- four bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to style
- Add avocado oil to a big pot and brown the meat and bacon on excessive warmth. Then add within the onion and let it brown for a couple of minutes as properly.
- Pour within the water and convey to a boil.
- Then add within the celery, carrot, thyme, bay leaves, and season calmly with salt.
- Simmer with the lid on for 60 minutes till the meat is tender. Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalks.
- Season with extra salt and pepper to style.
- Garnish with any remaining thyme leaves.
All dietary knowledge are estimated and primarily based on per serving quantities.
Net Carbs: Three g
- Calories: 505
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 44 g
- Carbohydrates: four g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 22 g