What could be better than regular meatballs? How about meatballs with bacon! These Keto smoky bacon meatballs are made with lean chicken and fatty bacon for the perfect tender meatballs that are both light and flavorful. Liquid smoke makes it possible to get a smoky depth of flavor in no time at all and these meatballs come together in a frying pan in under an hour!
Five Fun Facts About Bacon
- Bacon is traditionally made from salt-cured pork but other meats, such as turkey, prepared in a similar manner are also referred to as bacon.
- Different parts of the world use different cuts of pork to make bacon. In the United States, bacon is typically made from pork belly, while in the UK, bacon is usually made from the shoulder cut.
- Bacon was invented in China over 3000 years ago!
- Originally the word “bacoun” (which is where our modern word bacon comes from) referred to any form of pork. It wasn’t until the 17th century that it came to mean only the salt-cured preparation.
- In addition to the popular American-style bacon, there are many other types. These include the leaner Canadian bacon made from pork loin; slab bacon, which is uncut bacon with the rind left on; and pancetta, an Italian variety made with peppercorns and cloves and sold by the slice.
No Food Processor? No Problem
If you have a small kitchen, every kitchen tool needs to be essential to be worth the space it takes up. I didn’t buy a stand mixer, now one of my most used tools, for years because there was no space in the cabinets. This recipe calls for the ingredients to be mixed in a food processor but if you don’t have one, you can still make these meatballs with just a few modifications.
The number one difference is to make sure that you buy ground chicken instead of whole chicken breasts. When buying, make sure to carefully read the label to make sure you know the fat content of the chicken you’re buying. Ground chicken breasts will have less fat than ground chicken made from dark meat. You can buy fresh ground chicken or frozen ground chicken. If you buy frozen, simply thaw just as you would thaw other frozen poultry.
To make the meatball mixture, simply mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or a stiff spatula.
Chicken and Bacon: The Perfect Savory Pairing
Check out more low-carb chicken and bacon recipes below.
These Keto meatballs smoke the competition.
- 2 chicken breasts or 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon (7 g) onion powder
- 2 drops of liquid smoke
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) avocado or olive oil, to cook with
- Place everything (except the oil) into a food processor and mix well.
- From the mixture, form 20-24 small meatballs.
- Place the oil into a large frying pan, and fry the meatballs until the meat is cooked (cook one side for 5 minutes until browned, then flip and cook the other side for 5-10 minutes until done). You will probably need to cook them in a few batches.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 13 g