If you are pursuing a Ketogenic diet during the summer months, one of the most difficult things to miss out on are the cold treats that make summer great.
Ice cream is a summer tradition that has been keeping kids, parents, and grandparents happy for generations. Just because you are taking care of yourself doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your favorite chilly treat.
Using simple ingredients this easy Keto vanilla ice cream recipe is low in carbs and sugar, so, as long as you can stop yourself at one bowl, you can enjoy this delicious treat without any of the guilt.
Finding a Dairy Replacement
Dairy products by nature are low in carbs while being high in fat, which can work well for a Keto diet. However, there are other concerns regarding dairy sensitivities or digestive issues that could lead to you omitting it from your diet.
Thankfully, this keto ice cream recipe is completely dairy-free.
For the most delicious ice cream possible this recipe replaces the dairy products with coconut milk and cream. Using coconut products as a replacement is ideal for the unique flavor and it is full of great fats.
A World of Flavor Variations
This dairy-free ice cream is easy to make because it uses simple ingredients, but, if you are like me, plain vanilla can be a bit boring. Luckily it can be simple to change a few things up.
If you are a chocolate lover, you may celebrate with the addition of dark sugar-free chocolate to this ice cream recipe. Fruit flavors such as blueberry or strawberry are also great additions.
There are lots of options for ice cream flavors these days, and they all taste great. For something truly different try some of these unique flavors:
- Green tea
- Chili pepper
Let’s Talk Toppings
If you are going to have a bit of ice cream you might as well make it worth while, right? There is nothing like an ice cream sundae and there are plenty of low carb options to keep you healthy.
Try some of these great keto ice cream toppings:
- Dark chocolate
- Strawberries or blueberries
- Flaked coconut
- Tree nuts
- Coconut whipped cream
This simple recipe can also be one amazing milkshake. A little bit of creativity and this will be the ultimate summer treat for the whole family.
Simple dairy-free vanilla ice cream to enjoy however you choose.
- 1 cup (240 ml) of coconut cream (from the top of 1 can of refrigerated coconut milk)
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks, whisked
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons erythritol + stevia, to taste
- Stevia, to taste
- Place the ice cream machine bowl into the freezer the night before.
- Add coconut cream and coconut milk to a small saucepan. Add in the whisked egg yolks to combine. Heat up the mixture until it reaches 158 F (70 C). Add in the vanilla extract and sweetener.
- Let it cool down to room temperature, then pour into the machine bowl and churn for 35 minutes.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g