You don’t must give up Chinese meals on Keto. Make this vegetarian Keto chow mein recipe the next time the urge strikes!
What is Chow Mein?
It’s pretty simple, really. Chow refers to “stir-fried,” whereas mein means “noodles.”
While it varies pretty a bit regionally in America, it’s out there in two foremost varieties: steamed and crispy.
The crispy chow mein mannequin usually makes use of fried flat noodles. The steamed mannequin tends to attribute softer prolonged spherical noodles.
On the East Coast, you’d doable be having a look at a crispy, or “Hong Kong style” mannequin of the dish. On the West Coast, your default chow mein goes to be the steamed mannequin, although the crispy mannequin might also be on the market.
In addition to the noodles, chow mein might also embrace onions, celery, and some sort of meat. Popular selections embrace hen, pork, beef, or shrimp.
Sometimes you’ll see steamed chow mein generally known as lo mein, notably on the East Coast.
Lo means “tossed,” which refers again to the noodles being tossed with sauce throughout the wok. Your noodles typically gained’t be greasy, merely lined with gentle sauce.
Chow mein tends to coronary heart throughout the noodles, so it is doable you may get a lot much less veggies and protein.
How I Made This Keto
As you’ll take into consideration, your typical chow mein is loaded with carbs. It’s merely not an chance for Keto.
Lucky for you, there are strategies of getting throughout the carb subject.
For this veggie chow mein, I opted for shirataki noodles. These delicate noodles do a wonderful job of absorbing the flavour of the alternative substances, akin to garlic, tamari sauce, and ginger.
These noodles are largely water, and a soluble fiber known as glucomannan. It does a robust job of making you are feeling full. Bonus!
Make optimistic you rinse and drain your shirataki noodles sooner than using them. You’ll warmth them individually sooner than throwing them throughout the wok.
Enjoy Chinese classics like this excellent mannequin of vegetable Chow Mein.
- 2 3-oz.packs (170 g) of shirataki noodles
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil
- 3.5oz (99 g) of broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (120 g), seeds eradicated and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (6 g), peeled and crushed
- half thumb-size piece (Three g) of current ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 inexperienced onions (20 g), scale back into 1-inch gadgets
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of gluten-free tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 3/4 teaspoon (Three g) of erythritol
- Rinse the shirataki noodles correctly beneath chilly, working water. Place proper right into a pan of simmering water and put apart to softly warmth by once you finish the stir-fry.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok over affordable heat and fry the broccoli until barely softened. Add the pepper, garlic, and ginger. Fry for an additional 2-Three minutes, stirring generally.
- Add the inexperienced onions and tamari to the wok and improve the heat in direction of the highest until the sauce reduces and coats the greens. Sprinkle over the sweetener and mix correctly.
- Drain the shirataki noodles and serve the delicious vegetable over the noodles.
All dietary info are estimated and primarily based totally on per serving portions.
Net Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: Three g
- Protein: 2 g